Two classic Italian cheeses pair up with fragrant basil and zesty lemon to create the perfect creamy, crusted topping for flaky white tilapia fillets. Perfect paired with roasted or grilled seasonal vegetables, this is an elegant yet easy dinner dish.
Cheese makes the word go ’round, as far as I’m concerned. It’s one of the (many) foods I could never completely abandon in favour of a Paleo diet (although I’m not above trying to at least take a break from it for a Whole30 challenge – tentatively scheduled for September; I hope you’ll come along for the ride with me). Have any of YOU done a Whole30 challenge and/or adopted a Paleo way of eating? I’d love to hear about your experiences (or even lack thereof!) in the comments, or hit me up on social media!
Now, back to the cheese. And fish. All you have to do is stir five ingredients together (5 seems to be the magic number of ingredients these days – anything more than that is too many), dollop on the fish and pop it in the oven. Toss a sald, make some zucchini noodles or steam or grill some veggies while it bakes and supper for the whole family is ready in less than 30 minutes. This low-carbohydrate option can be amped up with the addition of risotto or other grains or starchy vegetables, as required.
Basil-Ricotta-Parmesan Crusted Tilapia with Lemon
Two classic Italian cheeses pair up with fragrant basil and zesty lemon to create the perfect creamy, crusted topping for flaky white tilapia fillets.
Author: The Golden Graham Girl
4, 4-oz (113g) tilapia fillets
1 cup (240g) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) light parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic (3g), minced
2 tbsp (5g) dried basil
1 large egg white (1/4 cup or 60g or 62mL)
Lemon juice & sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat a conventional oven to 420F (205C).
2. Grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Lay the tilapia fillets evenly spaced on the prepared sheet.
4. Combine the cheeses, minced garlic and basil in a small bowl.
5. Whisk in the egg white.
6. Coat each fillet with 1/4 of the mixture.
7. Bake for ~15 minutes until fish is just beginning to flake (should be opaque).
8. Turn over up to broil for remaining 5 minutes until fish is fully cooked and topping has a crisp, golden topping.
9. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sea salt and serve.
Calories: 223 Fat: 9.8g Carbohydrates: 6.0g Sugar: 3.1g Fiber: 0.9g Protein: 29.8g